Fire/Smoke Damage Tips
Even after the fire is doused and the smoke cleared, time is of the essence. To increase your chances of a complete recovery, call Servicemaster of Beaufort County as soon as possible. In the meantime, there are a few things you can do to ensure a more successful restoration.
What to do:
- Corrosive byproducts from fire and smoke can cause irreversible etching in as few as 72 hours. Call Servicemaster of Beaufort County immediately.
- If the temperature is above 60 degrees, air out your home by opening windows and doors to reduce smoke odor.
- Clean Formica, chrome, porcelain and aluminum fixtures to prevent permanent tarnishing or etching.
- Change the air filter on your furnace it if uses forced hot air.
- Tape damp cheesecloth over important documents to capture loose soot in the air.
- Discard any open food packages.
- If the electricity is off, clean out the refrigerator and leave doors propped open.
- Send clothing with heavy smoke damage to a qualified restoration dry cleaner.
What not to do:
- Do not touch anything. Oil from your hands can permeate upholstery, walls and woodwork, causing additional damage.
- Do not wash walls. Incorrect cleaning could compound the soot residue.
- Do not attempt to clean carpets or upholstered furniture.
- Do not use electrical appliances until having them checked.
- Do not use ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet.
Water damage can wreak havoc not only on your home, but also on your life. When disaster strikes, get your life back to normal fast with a full range of professional restoration services. At Servicemaster of Beaufort County, our goal is to restore your home—and your peace of mind—as quickly and efficiently as possible. And our licensed and insured technicians will communicate with you every step of the way. Our services include, but may not be limited to:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Drying, Dehumidification, Water Extraction
- Document Drying and Recovery
- Complete Building and Contents Cleaning
- Carpet, Rug and Upholstery Cleaning
- Mold Remediation*
- HVAC Duct Cleaning
- Antiques and Fine Art Restoration
- Electronic Equipment Restoration
- Data and Document Recovery
- Furniture Refinishing
- Biohazard Cleaning
- Some services may be subcontracted.
*Not available in all areas.
Water Damage Tips
Water damage and bacteria growth can begin within hours after you experience a loss. To increase your chances of a complete recovery, call Servicemaster of Beaufort County as soon as possible. In the meantime, there are a few things you can do to ensure a more successful restoration.
What to do:
- Water damage and bacteria growth can begin within hours. Call Servicemaster of Beaufort County immediately.
- Remove as much water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Remove wet area rugs or other removable floor coverings. Do not attempt to start removing wall-to-wall carpet.
- Lift draperies off the floor, loop through a coat hanger and place the hanger on the drapery rod.
- Wipe furniture, prop up wet furniture cushions for even drying and place aluminum foil under furniture legs.
- Move photos, paintings and art objects to a safe, dry location.
- Do not remove books from shelves. Rather, pack them tightly to prevent warping of pages until a restoration professional can begin this specialized drying.
- Open drawers, closet and cabinet doors to enhance drying.
What not to do:
- Do not enter a room with standing water until electricity has been turned off.
- Do not use a regular household vacuum to remove water.
- Do not lift tacked-down carpet without professional help.
- Do not use electrical appliances while on wet carpet or flooring.
- Do not disturb visible mold.